Sunday, June 17, 2012

Snow White and the Huntsman

¡Spoiler Alert! If you haven't seen the movie, I talk about several parts of the movie.


This depiction of the Snow White fairy tale had a spiritual parallel to me. I was reminded of what john Elderedge was talking about in Waking The Dead in the section about myths. How they speak to our hearts because things are not as they seem here on earth. Each story or movie speaks something different. Not all stories are written to the same person. Not every story is going to speak to every person. This story is not an epic tale or journey. There are epic parts, but it is a fairy tale. There are many versions of the Snow White tale and this is just one of them.

Before Snow White eats the apple, she is timid and unsure of who she is. She didn't believe she had a role to play or that she had an important role to play. When true love touched her, her heart woke up. She saw her part. "I know that fire burns in all of you. The embers must grow. I will be your weapon. I’d rather die today then live another day in this death. And who will ride with me?  Who will be my brothers?" She is done with the dark and the evil that is over the kingdom. She is ready to bring the light. “I’ve seen what she sees, I know what she knows. I can kill her.”

When we all allow the Father's love, the true love, touch our heart something awakens. We believe. We believe in ourselves. We believe in the cause. We stop seeing through our eyes and with our experiences, but see with His eyes and His heart.
The warrior heart, the beauty, inside of a woman is different and looks different than the warrior heart of a man. We don't often see it because tradition teaches that the man is the warrior. That the woman is the lesser sex. But we are to compliment each other. God created male and female, each in His own image. Many times, and it comes out in the movie, a person's warrior spirit will bring out the spirit in another person. Snow White's beauty and innocence called out the good, strong, warrior heart of the Huntsman. And the profound statement that Snow White makes to the evil queen as she is dying: "You can't have my heart."

The question is What does it stir in you? It stirred something different in me then it did in Mom. It struck her that "Only by fairest blood it can be undone."

Did it stir anything in you?

No comments: