Thursday, June 14, 2012

Quarter of a Century

Ever had one of those moments when you could see life so clearly? Just like standing on a mountain on a clear, beautiful Pacific Northwest day and being able to see the landscape lying out below. Or like at the top of the Tower of Terror, when the doors open and you can see all of DisneyWorld. There is seriously nothing better in life. I had one of those days two weeks ago. Actually, it was a whole week. My birthday was coming, but not just any birthday. My 25th birthday. I had kinda been dreading it cause a couple of my friends struggled with turning 25. The week before my birthday came and bam, I was feeling really good.

25. A quarter of a century. I'm really not having an issue with this age. Not yet anyways. :) Actually something clicked in my brain. It was a combination of a few things, not just my birthday.

First, we ended a three week Daniel fast and I had fasted caffeine for seven weeks. So it was a pretty intense time spiritually. A time of, once again, learning to die to myself, allowing the Father to be in control of my life, my decisions and my thoughts.

Second, was the radio. Doesn't sound like some deep thing, but it totally changed things. We got a new Christian radio station, 88.1 Air1. They play Christian alternative so artists like Skillet, Sanctus Real, Thousand Foot Krutch, etc. I stopped listening to Christian radio because I couldn't stand Spirit 105.3. It's not a bad station, it just didn't relate to me. Not going to call in the family name game to get tickets to see see Sesame Street live or the Wiggles. And I still knew most of the songs even if I hadn't listened in a year. I seriously like Air1. Their songs are loud, upbeat and alternative. There was finally a Christian radio station I could stand to listen to. One song in particular spoke to me real deep: Afterlife by Switchfoot.
I've tasted fire I'm ready to come alive/I can't just shut it up and fake that I'm alright/I'm ready now/I'm not waiting for the afterlife

Last was my birthday. :)

Why wait to live? Wait for what? A better job? A different time or place in life? A better tomorrow? The phone to ring or the snow to snow or waiting around for a yes or a no or a string of pearls or a pair of pants or a wig with curls or Another Chance?
What am I waiting for? Another 25 years? There are things I want to do, but haven't. Sorta like a bucket list. Why? Fear? Well partially that and lack of funds. :P So I decided to start somewhere. I died chunks of my hair purple.

What do you want to do?

What are you waiting for?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kari,

Great post! Absolutely, do what you want to do, start somewhere because if you wait for "the moment" for life to begin, you will always be waiting.

I did not really mind turning 25, but 30 caught me completely off guard. I think I am going to take after your mom, I have now had the 2nd anniversary of my 29th birthday.

Love you dear, even if I don't keep in touch as much as I should.

Chrystal